GTA 4 System Requirements
GTA 4 System Requirements (2021) - full specs, system checker and the gaming PC setup you need: Can I Run GTA 4?
GTA 4 system requirements
- Memory: 4 GB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
- File Size: 16 GB
- OS: Windows 10
GTA 4 minimum requirements
- Memory: 1.5 GB
- Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1900
- CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55
- File Size: 16 GB
- OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / Windows XP - Service Pack 3
Automatically test your computer against GTA 4 system requirements. Check if your PC can run the game with our free, easy-to-use detection tool or enter your system manually.
Can I Run GTA 4?
The GTA 4 system requirements ask for at least 16 GB free storage space. The minimum RAM requirement from Rockstar is 1GB, but your PC is likely to massively exceed this nowadays. If possible, make sure your have 4 GB in order to meet the GTA IV requirements. The minimum graphics card you need to run Grand Theft Auto 4 on is an ATI Radeon X1900. However, an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT or better is the recommended GPU. The GTA 4 PC requirements ask for a minimum CPU equivalent to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55. Whereas, an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU or better is recommended.
The GTA 4 Steam edition was re-released in 2020 to remove the outdated and buggy Games For Windows Live sign in, the addition of Steam achievements and the inclusion of 'Episodes From Liberty City'.
GTA 4 Improve Performance
GTA 4 isn't a brilliant PC port.. even on a top end modern PC you're going to get stuttering and FPS issues. However there are some ways to improve performance.
- Reducing 'View Distance', 'Detail Distance' and 'Vehicle Density' can give large performance boosts
- Find the GTA 4 directory, go to the 'pc' folder and open 'stream.ini'. Change the number on these values (virtual 204800, physical 204800, virtual_optimised 204800, physical_optimised 204800) to '409600'. This allows GTA 4 to utilise up to 4 GB of RAM, whereas default it can only take advantage of up to 2 GB RAM.
GTA 4 Mods
You can push your PC even further with the vast array of mods available for GTA 4, including shader mods which massively overhaul the graphical fidelity of the game. Have a look at this upcoming shader mod for GTA 4.
Looking for the new game? Check the GTA 5 system requirements.
GTA 4 will run on PC system with Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / Windows XP - Service Pack 3 and upwards.
Looking for an upgrade? Try our easy to use GTA 4 set up guides to find the best, cheapest cards. Filter for GTA 4 graphics card comparison and CPU compare. We'll help you find the best deal for the right gear to run the game.
Looking for ready made system? We have 1485 laptop computers in our database that can run GTA 4. We take over 813 gaming laptops under $1000. Check our full compare laptops chart for the right systems or these best deals we've picked out below.